Peter Vickers commenced a public accounting practice over 43 years ago. Here he gives some thoughts of what one should think about after 43 years.
- Which accounting body will you be a member?
- What do I need to do to get a practicing certificate?
- The accounting body will need to see my PI insurance.
Go to www.abacusasutralia.com
- Design your letterhead. The accounting body will want to see this to ensure it conforms to its standard. Obviously electronic nowadays.
- Under what business name will I practice?
- Need to register a domain name and get an email address. Gmail just does not look serious/professional enough.
- What about my registrations?
- Tax Practitioners Board
- ASIC for Company Auditor,
- SMSF auditor,
- What accounting software will I, or more correctly my clients, be using?
- What about practice management software and timesheets?
- How am I going to satisfy the CPD requirements?
- Should I join an accounting discussion group?
- Which mentors should I receive emails from?
- Set up web page
- Set up LinkedIn page
- Set up Facebook page
- Join local Chamber of Commerce and visit local businesses
- Get involved with my non business interests: church, children’s school, sports club, tidily winks etc
- And of course, how to have fun and plan those skiing holidays!
For more information about starting out in a public accounting practice, don’t hesitate to contact us or send us an email at email@example.com.